Coral Reefs Under ConstructionAs an extension to their reading lessons, the 3rd grade classes of DC Reeves participated in a lesson on coral reefs. The students met with a teacher from the Texas State Aquarium to learn more about the fascinating world of corals. They discussed how corals grow, what they need to survive, and what we can do to ensure that they thrive in our oceans.Each student used Lego blocks to build their own representation of coral. The students named their corals according to how they appeared. Everything from "skyscraper coral," to "airplane coral," to "colorful coral" were created. The presenter explained that each lego block represented one year's worth of growth for the coral. This was a great way to visualize to the students that coral takes many years to develop into large structures.Holding video conferences allow for students to become active learners in the classroom. They are encouraged to answer questions and provide feedback. The students are also given the opportunity to ask questions to experts in their fields. The students asked many interesting and in depth questions to the presenter, who works at the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus Christi, Texas.
Comprehension and Collaboration
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1 Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions (one-on-one, in groups, and teacher-led) with diverse partners on grade 3 topics and texts, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own clearly.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1a Come to discussions prepared, having read or studied required material; explicitly draw on that preparation and other information known about the topic to explore ideas under discussion.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1b Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., gaining the floor in respectful ways, listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1c Ask questions to check understanding of information presented, stay on topic, and link their comments to the remarks of others.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.3.1d Explain their own ideas and understanding in light of the discussion.