The students of OW Dillon and Tucker Elementary collaborated for a special Dot Day video conference on Monday, September 16th. Both classes dipslayed their amazing dot art and shared how they plan to "make their mark" in the world. Connecting to one another through the video conferencing equipment provided the opportunity for the students to practice their presentation skills and communicate with peers from opposite ends of the parish.
The conference was conducted by Richelle Votaw, computer lab teacher of OW Dillon (Kentwood), and Julie Neidhamer, 2nd grade teacher of Tucker Elementary (Ponchatoula).
Students illustrated their own dot using materials from www.colARapp.com. They then used the colAR app to bring their creations to life.
For more information about International Dot Day, visit
Click on the video below to watch the story of The Dot, by Peter H. Reynolds.
For more information on the colAR mix app, watch the demo video below and visit www.colarapp.com
Comprehension and Collaboration
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1 Participate in collaborative conversations with diverse partners about grade 1 topics and texts with peers and adults in small and larger groups.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1a Follow agreed-upon rules for discussions (e.g., listening to others with care, speaking one at a time about the topics and texts under discussion).
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1b Build on others’ talk in conversations by responding to the comments of others through multiple exchanges.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.1c Ask questions to clear up any confusion about the topics and texts under discussion.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.2 Ask and answer questions about key details in a text read aloud or information presented orally or through other media.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.3 Ask and answer questions about what a speaker says in order to gather additional information or clarify something that is not understood.
Presentation of Knowledge and Ideas
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.4 Describe people, places, things, and events with relevant details, expressing ideas and feelings clearly.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.5 Add drawings or other visual displays to descriptions when appropriate to clarify ideas, thoughts, and feelings.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.SL.1.6 Produce complete sentences when appropriate to task and situation. (See grade 1 Language standards 1 and 3 here for specific expectations.)